Why Do Title Capitalization Rules
Have to Be So Complex?
I never gave too much thought to proper title capitalization until I started writing a blog. But OCD Louie has chosen this as yet another of his annoying campaigns for nagging me incessantly.
That, and the fact that I’m a hopeless Grammar Nazi mean that I’ve spent way too much time trying to remember all the confusing title capitalization rules.
I’m cool with nouns, pronouns, verbs, adverbs and adjectives. But when a web page starts spitting out phrases like coordinating and subordinating conjunctions, and telling me that prepositions are only capitalized if they are used adjectivally or adverbially, well, honestly my head starts to spin.
There’s Got to Be a Simpler Way to Achieve
Title Capitalization Nirvana
I just want a simple way to get correctly capitalized titles for my blog posts without memorizing all those rules. Is that asking too much?
Turns out that it’s not, thanks to Hilverd Reker and the all-knowing Oracle Google, at whose website I worship.
The wise Oracle led me to Hilverd’s nifty little program called the Title Capitalizer. And it is nothing short of amazing.
Here’s all there is to it:
- Go to http://www.titlecapitalizer.com.
- Enter your title (in lower case) in the Title box.
- Select your preferred capitalization style. I chose The Chicago Manual of Style. ‘Cause it makes me feel all professional.
- Click the Analyze button and voila! Your newly capitalized title will automagically appear in the Capitalized box.
- Do as you please with what appears in the Analyzed box. Apparently OCD Louie doesn’t think it’s important because I’m able to ignore it.
- Click the Copy button.
- Take your shiny new title over to your blog editor and paste it in place.
- Publish your post, then sit back and admire how professional it looks with its properly capitalized title.
So the Title Capitalizer Is Perfect. Right?
Using the Title Capitalizer isn’t an exact science and it can’t be blindly trusted.
For instance, when I feed the Capitalizer an acronym or a word in all caps it kinda plays dumb, spitting out iRS for IRS. And gPS for GPS. Does that even make a modicum of sense? On any level?
I’ve considered the possibility that Hilverd Reker works for Apple and has gotten stuck in an iOS loop.
Or maybe the Title Capitalizer is testing me.
Whatever. All I care about is that now my blog posts can have spiffy looking titles that OCD Louie doesn’t whine about.
Thank you Hilverd Reker for sharing your awesome Title Capitalizer with the world. And thank you all-knowing Oracle Google for leading me to it.
Wondering who The Rock and Pebbles are? Want to know
why we’re raising Pebbles? And who the heck is OCD Louie?
Find the answers and more on my About My Blog page.
You might also like Eleven Random Facts About Me and
My Answers to Sophie’s Questions on my Liebster page.